Giro d'Italia LIVE - Stage 16
Notes: (latest notes always appear at the top, below sticky notes)
- Tuesday is the second and final rest day of the 2009 Giro d'Italia. Coming later on Tuesday: Stage 16 photos, more videos, Tour de Cycling - Tuesday, and Stage 17 info.
- Watch the Giro d'Italia Stage 16 On Demand on Universal Sports here. (Over three and a half hours of coverage. North America.)
- Giro d'Italia: Can't watch but can listen along? Select your language from our list of Eurosport live audio streams. (links in Live audio streaming section at right) Audio streams can also be played while watching one of the video feeds, very useful if the commentary in your video feed is in a language you don't understand.
- Giro LIVE on Eurosport, earlier than scheduled.
- Giro d'Italia LIVE video streaming now on Universal Sports. Links at right.
- Giro LIVE now via Rai.
- Giro d'Italia LIVE now on Rai Sport Piu web stream. First Rai Sport link at right.
- First Giro feeds to go live will likely be the Rai Sport Piu web stream. (First Rai Sport Piu link at right.) As usual, we will update our Giro d'Italia live video listings throughout the stage, with the best available feeds.
- Stage 16 Preview: This stage has all the makings of a great day of strategy and racing, attacks, counter attacks, hesitating on the part of some, going for broke on the part of others. Denis Menchov (Rabobank), Danilo Di Luca (LPR Brakes) and Levi Leipheimer (Astana), the top 3 in the overall going into today's stage, are all within 43 seconds of one another. Franco Pellizotti and Ivan Basso of Liquigas are 4th and 6th at 2 minutes and 3:03, respectively, of Menchov. Carlos Sastre (Cervelo) is 5th at 2:52. Menchov fears this stage the most. It will be hard to control, there likely will be attacks all day long and Menchov's rivals will attempt, and succeed, to isolate the Russian. It will be up to Menchov, as race leader, to respond. Will he find allies on the road? There will be attacks on the climbs and there will be attacks on the descents. Teammates of contenders will be sent up the road early and thus potentially available late in the stage to help their team leaders. Other attackers from far out may become overall contenders on the road. Lance Armstrong could attack a couple of climbs from the finish, a move that could benefit team leader Levi Leipheimer as well as allow Armstrong, going at his own pace, to get in some great training miles. One thing is sure: all the teams vying for overall victory will have a plan designed to ensure success. The most successful stage race strategist around, Astana's Johan Bruyneel, lives for days like this. Astana misses Chris Horner but they can still play a huge role in dynamiting a stage like this. So this stage is about teammates up the road, attacks on the climbs, attacks on the descents, and then one last climb where...Ka-Boom!...the first 4 km are particularly difficult. Some will be all smiles on Tuesday's rest day, some will regret missed opportunities, some will simply say "I gave it all I had." Then on Wednesday, the climb to Blockhaus. Best sport in the world. -Pete
Giro d'Italia Stage 16 Profile
- Giro d'Italia Stage 16 departs Pergola at 10:45 CET (4:45am U.S. Eastern) and is expected at Monte Petrano (Cagli) at around 17:19 CET (11:19am U.S. Eastern). Giro d'Italia live video streaming on Universal Sports is scheduled to begin at 8:30am U.S. Eastern. Giro live coverage on Eurosport is scheduled to begin at 16:00 CET (10am U.S. Eastern) but could start earlier depending on weather conditions at the French Open tennis tournament in Paris as well as competitor match-ups. The Rai Sport Piu web streams usually go live before television coverage.
- Watch the Giro d'Italia Stage 15 On Demand on Universal Sports here. (Over three and a half hours of coverage. North America.)
- We recommend you open our Twitter feed in a separate window now. If ever we have a server outage, we will update on Twitter and direct you to a live coverage page on another server.
- Welcome to our live coverage guide for the 2009 Giro d'Italia.
Stage 16 start: 10:45 CET
(more links to come)
(more video links to come if available)
Live audio streaming:
Radio Tour graphics:
News and photos:
Copyright © 2009 www.cyclingfans.com