Notes: (latest notes always appear at the top, below sticky notes)
| Follow cyclingfans on Twitter and never miss a race. Cyclingfans.com: The #1 source on the internet for live race coverage. Now in our 5th year.
- Watch the Giro d'Italia Stage 9 On Demand on Universal Sports here. (Over three hours of coverage. North America.)
- Due to the protest, though there will be a stage winner results will not count toward general classification.
- Giro LIVE now on Eurosport. Live audio feeds also playing. Links at right.
- Stage is neutralized as riders are protesting dangerous course. Eurosport thus staying with auto racing.
- Reminder: Eurosport live coverage today isn't scheduled to start until 15:45 CET (9:45am U.S. Eastern).
- Giro LIVE now on Universal Sports. Link at right. (Thanks, Rennie.)
- Giro d'Italia LIVE on Rai Sport Piu.
- Pedro Horrillo (Rabobank), who crashed deep into a ravine yesterday, is out of his medically-induced coma. (source: AFP)
Flashback: Pedro Horrillo's
2004 Paris-Nice Stage win
2004 Paris-Nice: Pedro Horrillo (Quick Step - Davitamon) raises an arm in victory at the
finish of Stage 2 at Montargis.
Copyright © 2004 Pete Geyer/www.cyclingfans.com
Domestiques like Pedro Horrillo rarely find themselves in position for personal glory. Their jobs are to support their team leaders, sacrificing their own chances for victory. In Stage 2 of the 2004 Paris-Nice, Horrillo's Quick Step team leader was Tom Boonen. But when Team CSC, with Jorg Jaksche in yellow after winning the Stage 1 time trial, took advantage of cross winds to dynamite the peloton on a stage meant for sprinters, Boonen and all but 36 riders in the peloton were left over 5 minutes behind by the finish. Horrillo was free to take a shot at victory. Nevermind that he still had to contend with the likes of Bartoli, Gilbert, Rebellin, Hushovd, Hincapie, Voigt, Cancellara. One of the smartest riders in the peloton, the former philosophy student surged ahead of the group early to avoid a sprint finish and took the victory (photo above), still considered Horrillo's biggest win to date.
Horrillo suffered serious injuries in yesterday's Giro d'Italia Stage 8 when he crashed and fell 60 meters into a ravine. Doctors have reportedly placed Horrillo into a medically-induced coma for 24 hours.
Our thoughts today are with Pedro and his family and friends and we offer our best wishes for a full and speedy recovery. -Pete
- Giro d'Italia Stage 9, the "Milano Show 100" featuring 10 laps in the city of Milan, starts at 13:35 CET (7:35am U.S. Eastern) and is expected to finish at around 17:17 CET (11:17am U.S. Eastern). Giro d'Italia live video streaming on Universal Sports is scheduled to begin at 8:30am U.S. Eastern. Giro live coverage on Eurosport is scheduled to begin at 15:45 CET (9:45am U.S. Eastern).
- Watch the Giro d'Italia Stage 8 On Demand on Universal Sports here. (Over three hours of coverage. North America.)
- We recommend you open our Twitter feed in a separate window now. If ever we have a server outage, we will update on Twitter and direct you to a live coverage page on another server.
- Welcome to our live coverage guide for the 2009 Giro d'Italia.
2009 Giro d'Italia LIVE
Italy, May 9-31
Stage 9 start: 13:35 CET
Expected finish: 17:17 CET
Live video streaming:
(8:30am U.S. Eastern)
(Go to page, click on blue Web 1
or Web 2 button.)
(last part of stage only?)
(more links to come)
(more video links to come if available)
Live audio streaming:
Deutsch - Español
Français - Italiano
Radio Tour graphics:
(Not active for time trial stages)
Deutsch - Español
Français - Italiano
(more tickers to come if available)
News and photos:
Yahoo photo gallery (AP/AFP)
Copyright © 2009 www.cyclingfans.com